Thursday, September 13, 2007

quiet strength

Okay, so I DO NOT read. Yes, my sister is an English teacher and has probably read more books in one summer than I have read in my whole life. However, I do like to read "self-help" books, memoirs, biographies, etc...you just won't ever find me laying on the beach reading a big fat novel. NO THANKS! Anyway, my point is this. I just got finished reading THE BEST book and I wanted to recommend it to EVERYONE!

The name of the book is QUIET STRENGTH and it is the memoir of Tony Dungy. For those of you who may not know (b/c you have obviously been living in a dark whole for the past 10 years), Tony Dungy is the head coach of the Indianapolis Colts and this year made history for becoming the first African American head coach to win a SUPER BOWL! Although this was a wonderful accomplishment and Coach Dungy was proud of the strides he made for Afriacan Americans, he was even more concerned that the country see him as a Christian coach, not just a black coach. In his book, he takes you through his life as a coach, but most importantly, how he has continued to glorify Christ through the ups and downs in his career and his life.
You will learn very quickly by reading this blog that FOOTBALL is a really big part of life at the Stringer house. But that is just it. FOOTBALL is a PART of our life. NOT our life. As Coach Dungy says in his book, fooball is just a game. It lasts 3 hours on a Saturday and then it is over. You cannot let football (or anything else for that matter) become your life. (as a coach, player, or even as a fan.)
Reed and I truly relate to Coach Dungy and his wife, Lauren. Before we married, Reed and I promised that we would live by keeping "the 3 F's" in the right order in our marriage and our family. FAITH...FAMILY...then FOOTBALL.
I won't tell you the WHOLE entire book....(I totally could, but I don't want to ruin it for you) but I really do encourage everyone to read it. You don't have to know anything about football, or even like football. The book is NOT about football. It is about glorifing God in your family, work and everyday life. It just happens to be written by a football coach. Happy reading!

5 comments:

Krystal said...

"your friend krystal" will be reading this book! if you liked it then i am bound to like it :)

JordanandSaundersRamsey said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I plan on getting it and reading it! Thanks Em!!!!

Jason, Cathy, Claire, Grey, and Nate said...

GO BULLDOGS!! I know Reed was so pumped!!!

brad, amanda, and brody said...

Brad's mom and dad gave him that book about a week ago and he's almost done already! I'll have to read it when he's finished since you liked it too!

Jenny said...

yay!!! i'm sooo glad you're a blogger!! i was happy to see "the stringers" on cathy's blog list. i'm adding you right now.:) hope you and reed are well, and GO DAWGS!